I want to share this new book I just got and LOVE! The book looks at the significant role that classroom discussions can play in teaching mathematics and deepening students’ mathematical understanding and learning.
Classroom Discussions in Math: A teacher’s guide for using talk moves to support the Common Core and more, Grades K-6: A Multimedia Professional Learning Resource, 3rd Ed.
By: Suzanne H. Chapin, Catherine O’Connor, and Nancy Canavan Anderson
It is divided into three sections:
- Section I: Getting Started: Mathematics Learning with Classroom Discussions
- Section II: The Mathematics: What Do We Talk About?
- Section III: Implementing Classroom Discussions
- 46 video clips from every grade, kindergarten through sixth, show students and teachers engaged in successful classroom discussions
- Support for teaching with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
- Try This Lesson sections offer specific mathematics problems, questions, and more than twenty lesson plans ready for immediate use in the classroom (downloads provided upon purchasing this resource)
- Math Talk Tips highlight strategies for using specific talk moves, tools, and formats to develop students’ mathematical learning
- The accompanying DVD organizes forty-six video clips by chapter and by grade level for viewing convenience. The clips range from one to nine minutes in length with a total viewing time of approximately two hours and twenty-six minutes.
I think it is a great resource and will be using it in upcoming trainings! Check it out!