At Strategic Intervention Solutions, we work with schools to help them change their Mathematical Mindset in our “Making the Shift in teaching 21st Century Mathematics” Professional Development and Coaching Initiative.We have watched so many schools grow in their thoughts of how they think about math and execution of math instruction. This book would be great for a Book Club at your school to help teachers understand the importance of this Mathematical Mindset!
Mathematical Mindsets: Unleashing Students’ Potential through Creative Math, Inspiring Messages and Innovative Teaching
by Jo Boaler (forward by Carol Dweck)
There is a clear gap between what research has shown to work in teaching math and what happens in schools and at home. This book bridges that gap by turning research findings into practical activities and advice. Boaler translates Carol Dweck’s concept of “mindset” into math teaching and parenting strategies, showing how students can go from self-doubt to strong self-confidence, which is so important to math learning. Boaler reveals the steps that must be taken by schools and parents to improve math education for all.
- Explains how the brain processes mathematics learning
- Reveals how to turn mistakes and struggles into valuable learning experiences
- Provides examples of rich mathematical activities to replace rote learning
- Explains ways to give students a positive math mindset
- Gives examples of how assessment and grading policies need to change to support real understanding